- There really are no contradictions , rather what we are given are a summary of the whole creation process in Chapter 1 of Genesis , followed by detail on parts of the creation in chapter 2.
- This pattern of gradual unfolding is common to some books of the bible.(see Ezekiel, Zechariah and Revelation)
- Verse 1 of Genesis chapter 1 is a mission statement for the whole process..”In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth’
- This is followed in Genesis 1:2-25 by details of what elements were created on each day, and especially gives information about the whole creative process of humans on day 6 .
- Genesis 2 opens with the Sabbath Rest , detail on the Garden of Eden…then gives more precise detail on the exact way the man and the woman were created
- This extra detail gives insight into God’s motives and intentions for mankind.
- So we must assume that the garden of Eden was created as part of the first 6 days , and both man and woman were made on the 6th
The suggestion of contradictory records is usually made by those who wish to throw doubt on the Scriptures, and especially on the record of God’s special creation.